Transfer Credit

You deserve some credit.

Nice job being proactive and starting your academic adventure early! If you are looking to transfer credits, you’re not alone. We help students like you every day. Nearly 73 percent of first-year students come here with credit, and 16 percent of our student body is made up of transfer students.

Taking a course from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution will normally transfer to Iowa State if they are comparable to courses offered for academic credit here or would earn academic credit if they were offered.

A general rule of thumb, college-level courses where you have passing grades are acceptable for transfer. Some departments may require at least a "C" grade for a specific course to be applied to the degree program.

For information on military credit, go to the Veteran and Military Students page.

Evaluation of transfer credit is a two-step process:

  1. When you apply, we will review the coursework you took at another institution to determine whether it’s acceptable for transfer. You’ll receive information on how to view your Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) form in AccessPlus. The TCE will tell you which courses have been accepted for transfer.
  2. Reach out to your college representative as soon as possible after receiving the TCE to discuss how the credits accepted for transfer apply to your degree program.

Each of Iowa State's colleges determines which transfer credits meet requirements for its degrees. For example, a chemistry course that counts toward the graduation requirement for a chemistry major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may not fulfill a graduation requirement for majors in the College of Engineering.


Learn More About Transferring Credits


How to read your TCE

Current Iowa State Students

If you are a current Iowa State student and you're looking to complete courses to transfer back to Iowa State, please go to the Registrar's Office website for additional information.

Project Lead the Way (PLTW) College Credit 

Have you taken a PLTW course and received college credit from another institution? All you have to do is request that your transcript be transferred to us to review. 


Learn More