Cyclone Aides are undergraduate student leaders who are employed to facilitate Orientation and Destination Iowa State throughout the year. Cyclone Aides serve as leaders by providing new students with an introduction to campus and its resources, provide campus and residence hall tours, prepare students for academic advising appointments, serve on information panels, and share information about Iowa State with new students and their family members.
Cyclone Aides coordinate the Destination Iowa State program by helping with the selection and supervision of Team Leaders, planning activities and implementing the event. Additionally, Cyclone Aides assist with campus visits and student recruitment throughout the year. Cyclone Aides are an integral part of the Office of New Student Programs. Not only is the Cyclone Aide position a great way to grow leadership skills, it is also great form of student employment.
Applicants may not be on temporary enrollment or academic or conduct probation and must be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at the time of application and through spring semester 2020. Students must be able to pass a background check to be employed as a Cyclone Aide.
- Students must demonstrate an interest in working with new students from a variety of backgrounds, a willingness to accept responsibility, and total commitment to creating a positive new student transition
- Students must have ability to work part-time hours during the academic year and full-time hours during summer
- Selected on the basis of previous work experiences, knowledge of Iowa State, leadership, scholarship, enthusiasm, and creativity
- Should possess a warm and friendly manner, sincerity, patience, flexibility, maturity of judgment, punctuality, and a willingness to follow a prescribed standard of excellence
- Must be willing to commit to spring semester preparation, Orientation, Destination Iowa State, and all dates listed below.
- Students may not enroll in academic coursework during summer Orientation
- Students may not have another job during summer Orientation
- Students must live in provided university housing during summer Orientation
- Students must stay in good standing with their Academic College
- Students must have a 2.2 grade point average at time of application and maintain a 2.0 grade point average throughout employment
Selection will be based on two rounds of interviews. The first round will consist of group interviews with the candidate's respective college. Candidates will interview on either Sunday, October 14, 2018 or Wednesday, October 17, 2018. Candidates who advance from round one will participate in an individual second round held October 26-November 13, 2018 with New Student Programs staff.
Compensation is valued at an estimated $7,300, which includes hourly compensation estimated at $4,500 paid in installments between May 2019 and January 2020, summer housing, uniform apparel, and meal package including Dining Dollars.
Time Commitment for 2019 Cyclone Aides
- Cyclone Aide Social the afternoon of Sunday, January 13, 2019 from 2:00 to 4:00pm
- Leadership Seminar class every Tuesday & Thursday; 8:00am to 9:20am beginning January 15 through May 2
- One day retreat on Saturday, February 16 from 11:00am to 4:00pm
- Facilitate Team Leader Interviews two of the following evenings from 3:00pm to 8:00pm Tuesday, March 5, Thursday, March 7, or Monday, March 11.
- Overnight retreat from Friday, March 8 at 5:00pm - Saturday, March 9 at 2:00pm
- Facilitate the Team Leader retreat during the afternoon of Sunday, April 7 from 12:00 - 6:00pm
- Assist with Transfer Orientation for 2-3 hours on the days of April 5, April 8, April 19, and April 29 based on class schedule
- Intensive Training Week (Projected May 20 - May 28; full-time, hours vary 7:00 a.m. to midnight)
- Summer Orientation (May 29 - July 2; full-time, hours vary 7:00am to midnight)
- One day retreat on Tuesday, July 16 from 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Hold 4 weekly office hours beginning Wednesday, July 17th to assist with planning of Destination Iowa State and attend weekly staff meeting on Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm beginning Thursday, July 18th
- Campus Visits, recruitment & orientation initiatives throughout summer 2019
- Coordinate the Destination Iowa State program (August 22-24 2019; full-time, hours vary 7:00am to midnight)
- Facilitate Cyclone Aide Interviews Sunday October 27, and Wednesday, October 30, 2019 (hours vary)
- Assist with Transfer Orientation for 2-3 hours on the days November 4, and November 15, 2019 based on class schedule
- Team celebration and January Destination Iowa State training on January 9, 2020 from 4:00pm - 7:00pm
- January Orientation & Destination Iowa State on January 10, 2020 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For more information or if you have questions about the Cyclone Aide position, please contact New Student Programs at 515-294-0801