Cyclone Aides are undergraduate student leaders who are employed to facilitate Orientation and Destination Iowa State throughout the year. Cyclone Aides serve as leaders by providing new students with an introduction to campus and its resources, provide campus and residence hall tours, prepare students for academic advising appointments, serve on information panels, and share information about Iowa State with new students and their family members.
Cyclone Aides coordinate the Destination Iowa State program by helping with the selection and supervision of Team Leaders, planning activities and implementing the event. Additionally, Cyclone Aides assist with campus visits and student recruitment throughout the year. Cyclone Aides are an integral part of the Office of New Student Programs. Not only is the Cyclone Aide position a great way to grow leadership skills, it is also great form of student employment.
Applicants may not be on temporary enrollment or academic or conduct probation and must be enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at the time of application and through spring semester 2018. Students must be able to pass a background check to be employed as a Cyclone Aide.
- Students must demonstrate an interest in working with new students from a variety of backgrounds, a willingness to accept responsibility, and total commitment to creating a positive new student transition
- Students must have ability to work part-time hours during the academic year and full-time hours during summer
- Selected on the basis of previous work experiences, knowledge of Iowa State, leadership, scholarship, enthusiasm, and creativity
- Should possess a warm and friendly manner, sincerity, patience, flexibility, maturity of judgment, punctuality, and a willingness to follow a prescribed standard of excellence
- Must be willing to commit to spring semester preparation, Orientation, Destination Iowa State, and all dates listed below.
- Students may not enroll in academic coursework during summer Orientation
- Students may not have another job during summer Orientation
- Students must live in provided university housing during summer Orientation
- Students must stay in good standing with their Academic College
- Students must have a 2.2 grade point average at time of application and maintain a 2.0 grade point average throughout employment
Selection will be based on two rounds of interviews. The first round will consist of group interviews with the candidate's respective college. Candidates will interview on either Wednesday, October 11, 2017 or Sunday, October 15, 2017. Candidates who advance from round one will participate in an individual second round held October 23-November 15, 2017 with New Student Programs staff.
Compensation is valued at an estimated $6,800, which includes hourly compensation estimated at $4,000 paid in installments between May 2018 and January 2019, summer housing, uniform apparel, and meal package including Dining Dollars.
Time Commitment for 2018 Cyclone Aides
- Cyclone Aide Social the afternoon of Sunday, January 7, 2018 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Leadership Seminar class every Tuesday & Thursday; 8:00 a.m. to 9:20 a.m. beginning January 8, 2018 through April 27, 2018
- One day retreat on Saturday, February 10, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Facilitate 2018 Team Leader Interviews two of the following evenings from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 27, Thursday, March 1, Monday, March 5, or Wednesday, March 7.
- Overnight retreat from Friday, March 2, 2018 at 5:00pm – Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 2:00pm
- Facilitate the Team Leader retreat during the afternoon of Sunday, April 8, 2018 from 12:00 - 6:00 pm
- Assist with Transfer Orientation for 2-3 hours on the days of March 30, April 6, April 13, and April 23 based on class schedule
- Intensive Training Week (Projected May 16 – May 25, 2018; full-time, hours vary 7:00 a.m. to midnight)
- Summer Orientation (May 29, 2018- July 3, 2018; full-time, hours vary 7:00 a.m. to midnight)
- Hold 4 weekly office hours beginning Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 to assist with planning of Destination Iowa State and attend weekly staff meeting on Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. beginning Thursday, July 12th, 2018
- Campus Visits, recruitment & orientation initiatives throughout summer 2018
- One day retreat on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 from 9:00am-4:00pm
- Coordinate the Destination Iowa State program (August 16-18, 2018; full-time, hours vary 7:00 a.m. to midnight)
- Facilitate Cyclone Aide Class 2019 Interviews Sunday October 14, and Wednesday, October 17, 2018 (hours vary)
- Assist with Transfer Orientation for 2-3 hours on the days October 29, and November 9, 2018 based on class schedule
- Team celebration and January Destination Iowa State training on January 3, 2019 from 4:00 – 8:00pm
- January Orientation & Destination Iowa State on January 4, 2019 from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For more information or if you have questions about the Cyclone Aide position, please contact New Student Programs at 515-294-5492