International Costs
and Scholarships

Immigration regulations require international students to verify the availability of financial resources to pay for all their educational, living and other expenses (and those of any dependents) for the duration of their studies prior to the issuance of the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 to obtain a visa to enter the U.S.

We offer three different payment plans, so you can pay your semester fees all at once at the beginning of the term, in three deferred installments each semester, or on a 12-month payment plan. Tuition cannot be paid by credit card. If you elect to use one of the installment plans, you will be assessed a modest administrative charge each semester. See the Accounts Receivables Office website for more details.

Many Iowa State international students work on campus while enrolled. If you will be on an F-1 Student Visa, you may work on campus provided you are maintaining F-1 status, you do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session, and you do not displace a U.S. resident.

You may be employed full time during holidays and vacation periods, including summer vacations, if you’re eligible and intend to register for the next school term. Most on-campus jobs pay more than minimum wage (which is currently $7.25/hour). You will be required to pay income taxes on any wages you earn.

In general, international undergraduates are expected to fund their own education. Most of the money provided to Iowa State University comes from the State of Iowa or the Federal government and is therefore limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. However, qualified international students are welcome to apply for any Iowa State scholarships that do not have those limitations, and do not require submissions of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

General information on scholarships and loans available to international students. (This listing is for informational purposes only, and does not imply endorsement by Iowa State University.)