Nondegree Graduate Admissions Requirements

If you wish to take graduate classes on campus, on either a part-time or a full-time basis, but are not seeking a graduate degree at Iowa State University, you should apply as a nondegree graduate student.

If you have earned a bachelor's or advanced degree
If you wish to later apply for an advanced degree
If English is not your first language
International applicants on either a Student Visa or Exchange Visitor Visa
Applicants who have been charged with a violation of law
If you are applying for a graduate Certificate program

International applicants on either a Student Visa or Exchange Visitor Visa

If you have a Student Visa or Exchange Visitor Visa, and require an F-1 or J-1 visa eligibility form (Form I-20 or Form DS-2019) from Iowa State University, you must submit official academic transcripts from the last school you attended, and a statement of your educational goals for enrolling as a nondegree graduate.

You should also provide proof of sufficient financial resources to cover your tuition and living expenses for full-time study for the duration of your stay (Review Estimated Expenses.) This is necessary to meet U.S. government requirements in issuing the visa eligibility form. (International students at other U.S. universities who want to attend summer session(s) only do not need a visa eligibility form from Iowa State.)

Nonimmigrants on other visas should check with an international student adviser in the International Student and Scholars Office for information regarding restrictions that may apply under their visa status.