STARS (Student Admissions Representative) - is an exciting volunteer student organization that works within the Office of Admissions. The STARS work to present a positive, realistic student view of Iowa State University to prospective students and parents. The organization's members are selected through an interactive interview process and if selected take part in a high energy, fast pace environment that allows them to showcase their talents, communication skills, and love of Iowa State.
Activities and Duties
Specific activities and opportunities that STARS participate in:
Daily Campus Tours:
- Offered Monday through Friday at 9:45 a.m. and 2:10 p.m. and at 9:45 a.m. on most Saturdays.
- STARS need to be available for approximately 70 minutes to help with these tours.
Residence Hall Tours:
- Offered Monday through Saturday at 11:00 a.m., STARS need to be available until 1:00 p.m.
- Includes lunch with campus visitors when classes are in session.
- Offered during Experience Iowa State programs from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (one hour shifts)
Experience Iowa State:
Experience Iowa State (EIS) programs take place nine times a semester. The Office of Admissions offers open house opportunities for guests to enjoy a day long Iowa State experience. This event allows various opportunities for STARS to become involved in:
- Staffing information tables
- Assisting with registration
- Serving as campus tour guides
- Serving as residence hall tour guides
- Participating on student panels
- Mingling with students and families
STARS are asked to volunteer for 6 of the 9 EIS programs— however STARS can assist with additional events as their schedules permit.
Group Visits allow STARS to participate in student panels and give tours for specific high schools, community colleges, multicultural groups, Women in Science and Engineering programs, and talent search programs.
While the STARS program is a volunteer organization, there are Guidelines for Participation:
- STARS can expect to give at least 2 campus tours each month.
- STARS can expect to give at least 2 residence hall tours each month if schedule permits.
- Attend two meetings each month.
- Behave in a professional and appropriate manner on all tours.
- Exhibit outstanding customer service skills.
- Share their pride and positive experiences about Iowa State.
- The term of service for STARS is an academic year.
- If provisions are not adhered to, members will be dismissed from the STARS organization.
- Attend meetings twice a month. Attendance at the meetings is mandatory.
- Meetings last approximately 1 hour and include important training activities, guest speakers, and social events.
- Attend training retreats each semester. Retreats generally take place early in the spring and fall semesters.
- The retreat is an opportunity to meet other STARS and Admissions staff as well as experience training on all the duties and responsibilities associated with being a STAR!
For more information or if you have questions about the STARS program, please contact Kailyn Tauber at 515-294-8096