The Student Telecounseling staff is a diverse group of Iowa State students who answer incoming phone calls to the Admissions Office and use excellent customer service to serve those interested in our university. Student Telecounselors are responsible for providing admissions information, answering general questions, and transferring customers to individuals throughout the university. As Admissions Representatives, the telecounseling staff works in an interactive and high-energy work environment. This position requires passion for Iowa State, excellent customer service skills and the ability to learn new things at a fast pace.
- Must be a registered undergraduate student at Iowa State. (no graduate students, please)
- Available to work a weekly schedule of 6 hours minimum and 15 hours maximum while classes are in session; up to 30-40 hours available during break and summertime
- Able to commit at least 2 semesters on staff.
- Have at least a 2.0 GPA upon hiring, maintain during employment.
$8.65 per hour.
For students with fall starting availability: training would begin the first week of classes or before if available.
Hours of Operation (Monday-Friday)
- Fall and Spring Semester hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Summer and break hours: 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
- * Employees are not required to work during the summer or breaks but are encouraged to if available.
The supervising team is looking for candidates with the following skills:
- Previous phone/office experience strongly preferred.
- Strong customer service skills and an understanding of customer service concepts.
- Ability to be trained at a fast pace and learn new things quickly.
- Capacity to be a positive role model and example of Iowa State University.
- Demonstrates reliability and is responsible for working when scheduled.
- Excellent communication skills and phone etiquette.
- Enthusiasm and outstanding work ethic.
- Accepting of constructive criticism and help from others in a team setting.
Student Telecounselors are selected because they have the following qualities:
- Professionalism and desire to help others in a customer service setting.
- Kindness, friendliness, and respectfulness.
- Patience and a positive attitude.
- Knowledge of Iowa State plus a willingness to learn new information.
- Motivation and ability to have fun.
- Eligibility for Work Study strongly preferred.
For more information or if you have questions about student telecounseling, please contact Rebecca Kropp at 515 294-4591