International Undergraduate Admission Requirements
Freshman Academic Requirements:
- 4 years of English or your native language
- 3 years of science (including at least two years of laboratory science courses which emphasize elements of biology, chemistry, or physics)
- 3 years of math (including algebra and geometry)
- 2 years of social studies
- SAT or ACT test scores are not required for admission, but providing them will speed up your admission decision. SAT or ACT is required for freshman scholarship consideration.
Transfer Academic Requirements:
- Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 in all transferable courses for engineering applicants
- Minimum GPA of 2.3 for all other majors
Minimum performance requirements have been determined for students educated in most countries.
If your country is not listed, please send us an email with the name of your country, whether you are applying as a freshman or transfer, and we will send you the admission requirements separately.
Click on the name of your country below to download and view/print the requirements (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
Advanced Course Credit
English Proficiency Requirement
|Option||Minimum Score or Grade Required||Iowa State University Code|
|TOEFL||71 IBT with a 17 or above on the Speaking and Writing sections 17 on all sections on the Paper Based TOEFL (PBT)||6306|
|IELTS||6.0 overall score with all sub scores 5.5 or above||IELTS doesn’t use codes|
|PTE||48 overall score||PTE doesn’t use codes|
|SAT||460 Evidence-Based Writing and Reading sub score (EWR)||6306|
|ACT||19 English sub score||1320|
All international applicants are required to submit an English Proficiency Exam unless you reside in a country where English is the ONLY official language. Exam results must be less than two years old.
International students transferring from a U.S. College: The English proficiency requirement can be waived if you have completed a course equivalent to Iowa State University's English 150 or English 250 with a grade of B or better from an accredited US two-year or four-year college or university.
If you meet all admission requirements but do not meet our English proficiency requirements, Iowa State offers conditional admission to attend our Intensive English and Orientation Program (IEOP). If you would like to enroll in IEOP, on the application choose "I would like to enroll in Iowa State’s IEOP program before I begin academic study.”
Documents required to apply to Iowa State
- English proficiency exam
- Transcripts of all high schools or universities attended
- Iowa State financial statement
- Bank statement or sponsor letter showing one year’s expenses
- Copy of passport/visa
For admission purposes, scanned documents are accepted. If you are offered admission to Iowa State, official final documents will be required.