Iowa Course Equivalency Guides
The Course Equivalency Guide lists the courses offered at the community college and how each of those corresponds to courses offered at Iowa State University. Regardless of how a course is listed on the equivalency guide, it is important to keep in mind that the individual colleges or departments determine how each course will apply toward your degree program at Iowa State University. Please note that equivalencies are date-specific and dependent on when the course was taken.
- If there is a course that is directly equivalent to the community college course, the Iowa State department and course number is listed.
- If there is not a course that is directly equivalent to the community college course, the department name is still listed with either a 100- or 200- or a 1T** or 2T**. This shows that it does transfer as either a freshman (100- or 1T**) or a sophomore (200- or 2T**) level course. The student's major department at Iowa State will apply these credits to the student's degree as they see fit.
- A "z" after MATH 100 indicates that the course will transfer to Iowa State, but will not be used toward graduation from Iowa State University.
- CAREER/TECH means that the course is part of a career/technical program. A maximum of sixteen semester hours of career/technical credit can be transferred to Iowa State.
- "NC" in the credit column indicates that the course does not transfer to Iowa State University. In most cases the course is developmental in nature.
Course equivalency guides are available for the institution(s) listed below:Des Moines Area Community College
Clinton Community College (Eastern Iowa CC District)
Ellsworth Community College (Iowa Valley CC District)
Hawkeye Community College
Indian Hills Community College
Iowa Central Community College
Iowa Lakes Community College
Iowa Western Community College
Kirkwood Community College
Marshalltown Community College (Iowa Valley CC District)
Muscatine Community College (Eastern Iowa CC District)
North Iowa Area Community College
Northeast Iowa Community College
Northwest Iowa Community College
Scott Community College (Eastern Iowa CC District)
Southeastern Community College
Southwestern Community College
Western Iowa Technical Community College
Iowa State University also participates in several statewide and individual articulation agreements between and among Iowa's Regent Institutions and Community Colleges. Statewide agreements can be found in The Public Connection, Volume I. Individual agreements are listed in The Public Connection, Volume II.